Monday 23 September 2013

Spare the Rod

and Spoil the Child - an old phrase but one that still rings true.  But in this case, I'm not here to talk about children, at least, not the small kind.  Have you ever worked with someone or had someone work for you that you just rack your brains about?  You try and you try but no amount of help or counseling can make them change their ways?  I'm faced with this dilemma at the moment, well, me and one or two others, and it's a toughie.  Talk about keeping you up at night, if you could bottle that nervous, nail-biting, 'whatthefuckdoIdonow' feeling, Nescafe would go out of business.  And yes, 'whatthefuckdoIdonow' has just been added to my online dictionary, I'm a big fan.

Some people just blow me away in terms of attitude, and divers seem to be some of the worst.  For someone who regularly takes part in such a humbling experience as diving, how dare we have a snobby attitude!  Diving is a blessing that is not to be taken lightly, as are jobs in this shitty economy, so why throw away a perfectly good one because you decide to behave like you're better than everyone else?  Now don't get me wrong, I've been disciplined (ooer!) and even fired from a job, but never because of my attitude - I was just shit at my job and I hated it, and no amount of training was going to cure that; but my god while I was there I tried!  I slogged my guts out until the very end, clinging on with both hands and a few teeth until finally my company got fed up of me, and rightly so.  I have never been fired or disciplined however, while working in a diving position, and I'm particularly proud of that fact.  Of course, time can always change that fact, and I'm not perfect (well...), but every day I wake up convinced of my own vulnerability and determined to show the world what a hard worker I am.

For those of you currently working as a professional in the diving industry - ask yourself, do you take your job for granted?  Do you have those days where the alarm clock is a little bit quieter than usual?  Have you ever made an excuse to not get in the water?  If you answer yes to those things, you're only human, but maybe you're also in the wrong job.  Maybe that company isn't for you, maybe the country or your colleagues are not your cup of tea, the key is to change while you still can.  Don't get stuck in a dead-end job that you clearly hate and then expect to be able to teach good courses.  Humans are sensitive creatures, and no matter how well you think you're hiding that bad attitude, your clients will pick up on it.  Cheesy as it sounds, we are in the business of creating smiles and memories, and no one wants a fake one from either.  Next time someone refers to it as 'oxygen' for the 100th time that week, or asks what the red button does, just smile sweetly and remember that it might be the 100th time for you, but it's the first time for them. 

As for those of you with a holier than thou attitude, I would like to share a quote from the late great Jacques Cousteau - "It takes generosity to discover the whole through others. If you realize you are only a violin, you can open yourself up to the world by playing your role in the concert ".  I'm not any great shakes at literature but even I can understand that one - no man is an island, so don't go thinking you're Ibiza.


Join me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofadivinginstructor
 

No comments:

Post a Comment