Wednesday 11 September 2013

Famous Last Words...

As all good things that must come to an end, today marks the end of my story from Utila, or at least the main part.  There are other chapters that I'm sure will crop up in future posts, but it has been enormously fun reliving it!  I feel like that part of my life was so long ago I can't even picture the person I was back then any more, which is ironic considering that where I am in my life right now is surprisingly similar - nervous, full of hope, launching into something unexpected that although I know is an amazing opportunity, many people have told me it's doomed from the start.  I try and keep a positive outlook on things and avoid those 'toxic' people who seem desperate to infuse you with their pessimism, and of course the ever-reassuring prescence of Sharkboy is an untold comfort.  He faces the final chapter of his IDC and IE in the coming week, and is struggling with self-doubt.  I want to reassure him about what an amazing instructor he will be, and I have no doubt he will be, and I hope if he's reading this (which he'd better be!!) he has gained a little comfort from my own story.  

Week Seven in Utila - Unleash The Beast

I'm now writing this from home, quite depressed and jetlagged, not loving being back in London, but hey, at least it's sunny right?! The last week has been ridiculously hectic! Had all of the OWSI exams, which were quite tough, and the bloody theory exams again as well!! I got a 5 out of 5 in my confined water session though, so that's always good...

After our IE (Instructor Exams), we all went for dinner at a really nice restaurant called Kate's where Angel, one of our course directors teaching us, decided to lead us in one final presentation - tequila body shots!! Very funny, with me and Beckie as his assistants (see photos on Facebook!) - lots more drink followed and I had a great night from what I can remember. The following night I had my snorkel test at the UDC BBQ, which was also very drunken, as Jason, the guy who administers the booze, pretty much just gave me beer and rum...we all went to a club afterwards, and well, let's just say skinny dipping was involved :).

My last night was quite quiet, just dinner and a couple of drinks, was broken by that point, so didn't want to go too far! I had to get up at 5am yesterday morning to get my flight at 6am, then the little propeller plane stopped at Roatan, La Ceiba and San Pedro Sula before we even got to Houston!! Loooooong time travelling, but am home safe and sound now and attempting to unpack, but procrastinating by trying to catch up on 2 months of Eastenders!

Well, those are the end of my adventures, until the next time I jet off! I will be sure and try to catch up with you all now that I'm back, but, I am now officially home.


 

7 comments:

  1. I hope you find a new diving job in the tropics soon! I've always wanted to do some UK diving. I heard they found a submarine graveyard recently, only 45 feet deep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see a fellow Bay Islands dive instructor blogger!! I'm over on Roatan and have been running http://www.cubiclethrowdown.com for awhile now. Are you happy to be home? Where is your next adventure taking you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya .. just to say you need to be careful .. what I read so far was that you enjoy drinking to the extend of not remembering whats happening and live 15 seconds from the dive center and seem to be late for work. These blogs are all fun and exciting to write, but unfortunaltly as I a dive center manager i would not even consider hiring you after some if your commments.. just a thought to be careful what you write .. as in cyberspace it will come back and haunt you at some time .. Good luck in your adventures as an Instructor its a fun and rewarding avdenture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, I have been waiting for a comment like this. First of all 'Anonymous', if you had taken the care to read the rest of the blog, you would note that I've been an instructor now for 6 years, managing my own dive centre for the last 3 and a bit, so this story is not happening in real time. My drinking habits when I was a divemaster doesn't seem to have impeded my progress thus far. Also, a word to all other instructors - the person who has posted above is exactly the kind of dive centre manager you do NOT want to hire you - someone who judges you based on words and not on skills or experience. I am not looking for a job, nor is this blog intended to portray me in a glowing light - it is intended as a useful, sometimes hopefully funny, story, that other dive professionals can relate to, and 'Anonymous', if you cannot, then I feel you have missed out on a vast part of the diving journey. best of luck to you in all your future endeavours and I hope that life rewards you as it has me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, I just wrote a thesis to Anonymous to educate him on how shallow and counter-productive it is to judge people on their appearance and first impression instead of seeing honesty and expression as a tool to work further with to make young and in-process scubainstructor brilliant ones; good educators, great divers and responsible coworkers despite of their tattoos, piercing, looks or drinking habits, but it disappeared into cyberspace. (Don´t care if it comes back to haunt me, I made some really good points! ) Really glad you´ve made it in the diveindustry, Natalie, keep up the good work, and thanks for the good response. I think the divemanager must furthermost speak for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree completely ChriChri!! Feel free to check out the other pages and comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete